EUFIC is financially supported by the following companies:
Barilla, Coca-Cola, Coca-Cola HBC, Ferrero, Frito-Lay, Groupe Danone, KraftFoods, Masterfoods, McDonald's, Nestlé, Procter&Gamble, Südzucker, Unilever, Yakult, Heinz, DSM Nutritional Products Europe Ltd.
These companies subscribe to EUFIC's founding principles:
- The European Food Information Council (EUFIC) has been established to provide science-based information and education material on foods and food related topics to health and nutrition professionals, educators, opinion leaders and the news media, in a form understandable to the general public.
- EUFIC’s publications are based on peer reviewed science and will not promote views which cannot be endorsed by the scientific community at large. All publications must include references to scientific texts or experts.
- EUFIC will strive to publish in partnership with organisations or recognised experts, acknowledged for their credibility in their field of activity.
- EUFIC does not act as the spokesperson of industry and does not wish to be perceived as such.
- All activities must support EUFIC’s mission as a credible and scientifically sound information source.
- EUFIC respects the specificity of each country and believes that most communication programmes can be established most effectively on a national level.
- EUFIC will be mindful of the need to address a balanced mix of subjects that enhance EUFIC’s impact, credibility and effectiveness.
- EUFIC will not promote individual companies’ views or brands nor any other information material, which is not based on peer reviewed science.
- EUFIC participates in an informal global network of Food Information Councils that share the common goal of communicating science-based information on healthy lifestyle, nutrition and food safety.
A Scientific Advisory Board is established in order to safeguard that EUFIC's information material and communication programmes are based on reviews of scientific evidence and sufficient agreement among the scientific community at large so that the information is factually correct and truthful. Its members are:
John Lupien, Former Director Food and Nutrition Division, FAO, Chairman of the Advisory Board
Renate Frenz, Past Honorary Chairman, European Federation of Association of Dieticians (EFAD), Germany, Vice Chairman of the Advisory Board