Funding and governance
EUFIC is a non-profit organisation with a broad funding model. Contributions come from food and drinks companies, the European Commission, foundations, umbrella organisations, and from sales of publications. About 2/3 of our funding comes from private sources and 1/3 from public sources.
All EUFIC industry funders subscribe to the following operating principles:
- EUFIC - The European Food Information Council’s mission is to provide impartial, science-based information and education material on food and health, in an accessible, appealing and actionable way, aiming to inspire and empower consumers to make better choices. All EUFIC activities must support this mission.
- EUFIC stands up for science and does not lobby for specific interests, or promote individual companies' views, brands or products.
- EUFIC addresses a balanced mix of subjects that are relevant for society.
- EUFIC's communications are based on peer reviewed science that reflect the views of the scientific community at large.
- EUFIC does not allow its members to determine the output of its scientific positions, publications, or activities. Every EUFIC member or funder of specific activities must sign a code of conduct.
- The Scientific Advisory Groups, comprised of independent leading scientists provide direction and maintain oversight of accuracy, relevance and independence of EUFIC’s work.
- EUFIC works in partnership with organisations and recognised experts, acknowledged for their credibility in food and health. They are free to express their own personal views, and challenge the perspective of others.
- EUFIC defends, at all times, its core values: transparency, honesty, and scientific integrity.
EUFIC is governed by a Board of Directors which is elected from funding companies. Current EUFIC members are: Abbott Nutrition, Bunge, Cargill, Cereal Partners, Coca-Cola, Dow Seeds, DSM, Ferrero, General Mills, Mondelēz Europe, Mars, Nestlé, PepsiCo, Pinar Et, Tereos, Ülker, Unilever.
Become a member
Membership is open to organisations and companies from throughout the food chain from food producers, ingredients suppliers, food manufacturers, food retail, food service and sports industries.
EUFIC’s accounts are audited yearly.