Funding and governance
EUFIC, The European Food Information Council, is a non-profit organisation with funding coming from food and drinks companies, the European Commission, foundations, umbrella organisations, and from sales of publications. About 2/3 of our funding comes from private, and 1/3 from public sources.
EUFIC’s mission is to provide impartial, science-based information on food and health, in an accessible, appealing and actionable way, aiming to inspire and empower people to make healthier choices.
EUFIC works according to the following operating principles that all EUFIC funders subscribe to:
- EUFIC is rooted in science, and stands behind its core values: transparency, honesty, and scientific integrity.
- EUFIC addresses a balanced mix of food and health related subjects that are relevant for society.
- EUFIC's communications are based on peer reviewed science that reflect the views of the scientific community at large.
- The Scientific Advisory Groups, comprised of independent leading scientists, provide direction and oversee accuracy, relevance, and independence of EUFIC’s work.
- EUFIC works in partnership with credible and recognised organisations and experts, welcome to bring their own views to the table.
- EUFIC does not lobby for specific interests, nor promote individual companies' views, brands or products.
- EUFIC funders do not determine the output of EUFIC’s publications or activities. Every funder supporting EUFIC, or its specific activities, abides by a Code of Conduct.
EUFIC is governed by a Board of Directors which is elected from funding companies. Current EUFIC members are: Abbott Nutrition, Bunge, Cargill, Cereal Partners, Coca-Cola, Dow Seeds, DSM, Ferrero, General Mills, Mondelēz Europe, Mars, Nestlé, PepsiCo, Pinar Et, Tereos, Ülker, Unilever.
Become a member
Membership is open to organisations and companies from throughout the food chain from food producers, ingredients suppliers, food manufacturers, food retail, food service and sports industries.
EUFIC’s accounts are audited yearly.