Click here to visit the EUFIC Homepage
Food Safety & Quality
Food Technology
Food Risk Communication
Nutrition
Health & Lifestyle
Diet-Related Diseases
Consumer Insights
Food for thought
EU initiatives
In the spotlight
Energy Balance

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the Health on the Net Foundation Code for trustworthy health information:
verify here.



Frequently Asked Questions

I have high cholesterol; how many eggs can I consume each week?

It should be realised that only 20% of the cholesterol in the blood is provided by food, and the remaining 80% is synthesised by the organism. The egg yolk does indeed contain cholesterol, but that does not mean having to eliminate eggs in the case of excessively high cholesterol levels. We know that it is more effective to act on the quantity and quality of fats consumed than upon the actual cholesterol intake from food: you should limit the intake of saturated fatty acids from animal fats (butter cheese, prepared meat …) and increase the intake of fats and oils that are rich in unsaturated fatty acids (oils, margarine). Accordingly, persons with high blood cholesterol levels are advised to eat 2 to 3 eggs per week, without allowing for eggs contained in prepared foods.

Source: IFN


MORE QUESTIONS

ABOUT EUFIC
The European Food Information Council (EUFIC) is a non-profit organisation which communicates science-based information on nutrition and health, food safety and quality, to help consumers to be better informed when choosing a well-balanced, safe and healthful diet.

Read more
This site was last updated 27/08/2014
View all search results