Funding and governance
EUFIC is a non-profit organisation, with funding coming from the European Commission, food and drinks companies, academia, NGO’s, foundations, umbrella organisations, and from sales of publications. In 2020 about 71% of our funding comes from public sources, and 29% from membership.
EUFIC’s mission is to provide engaging science-based information to inspire and empower healthier and more sustainable food and lifestyle choices.
EUFIC works according to the following operating principles that all EUFIC funders subscribe to:
- EUFIC is rooted in science, and stands behind its core values: transparency, honesty, and scientific integrity.
- EUFIC addresses a balanced mix of food and health related subjects that are relevant for society.
- EUFIC's communications are based on peer reviewed science that reflect the views of the scientific community at large.
- The Scientific Advisory Board, comprised of independent leading scientists, provide direction and oversee accuracy, relevance, and independence of EUFIC’s work.
- EUFIC works in partnership with credible and recognised organisations and experts, welcome to bring their own views to the table.
- EUFIC does not lobby for specific interests, nor promote individual companies' views, brands or products.
- EUFIC funders do not determine the output of EUFIC’s publications or activities. Every funder supporting EUFIC, or its specific activities, abides by a Code of Conduct.
EUFIC is governed by a Board of Directors and a General Assembly, which is elected from EUFIC membership.
EUFIC membership is open to:
- Organisations and companies from the food chain (food producers, ingredients suppliers, food manufacturers, food retail and food service), the healthcare sector and sports industries.
- Universities, research organisations, NGOs and other European organisations in the field of food and health.
Current members are:
- Organisations and companies from the food chain: Amway, Bunge, Cargill, Cereal Partners Worldwide, Coca-Cola, Corteva agriscience, DSM, Ferrero, FRUCOM - European Federation of the Trade in Dried Fruit and Edible Nuts, Processed Fruit and Vegetables, and Processed Seafood, General Mills, H&H Group, Mars, Nestlé, PepsiCo, Roquette,Tereos, Unilever, Yildiz Holding.
- Universities: Agricultural University of Athens, Nutrition & Health, MAPP Centre – Research on value creation in the food sector - Aarhus University, UCD - University College Dublin, University of Leeds.
- Research organisations: FINS - Institute of Food Technology, Food2Know - Excellence Center for Animal Nutrition
- NGOs and other European organisations non-profits: EFAD – European Federation of Associations of Dietitians, EuroFIR, NNEdPro – Global Centre for Nutrition and Health, NUTRIS - Nutrition Institute Ljubljana, WWF – EU Policy Office.
Become a member
For more information about membership contact Laura Fernández Celemín, Director General (email@example.com).