EUFIC Junior Manager Food & Health Science
EUFIC – the European Food Information Council, is a non-profit organisation that provides science-based information on food and health.
We are passionate science and communication experts who believe in the power of knowledge, and in a world where people choose to live healthily because they know how to. To help building it, we offer accessible, appealing and actionable science-based information to inspire and empower people to improve their diet and lifestyle.
We collaborate with a broad network of academics, national and international organisations, businesses and professionals in the food and health sector. We carry out consumer research to understand people’s perceptions, views and preferences. We are a lively, multi-disciplinary, and multi-cultural team of just over 20 colleagues, based in the heart of the European Quarter.
Our funding comes from individual food and drink companies, the European Commission, foundations, umbrella organisations and from sales of publications.
The Food & Health Science is at the very core of EUFIC. The Junior Manager Food & Health Science will, among others, be involved in the development, review, and promotion of understandable and accessible science-based communication materials, as well as supporting senior managers on EU-funded projects and other activities. This position is required to manage projects/tasks independently, and reports to the Head of Food and Health Science and Senior Management of EUFIC.
- active involvement in the development, review, and promotion of different types of science-based content covering a wide range of food & health related topics including, nutrition, lifestyle, food safety, food quality, food risk communication, and sustainability. Tasks may include (but not limited to):
- Researching the scientific literature
- Writing accessible science-based articles
- Collaborating with graphic designers to create visual content
- Creating/reviewing social media content.
- Desk research on scientific topics or events
- Assisting in organising meetings, conferences, presentations
- Supporting senior managers with EU funded projects. Tasks may include (but not limited to)
- Creating online communication materials (e.g. newsletters, texts for website, leaflets etc)
- Website and social media management
- Representing EUFIC at project meetings
- Supervising interns
Educational requirements, experience and skills
The successful applicant should have/be:
- A scientific background, with an MSc degree in life sciences, nutrition, food safety, food technology, sustainability, behaviour change, or related subjects
- Fluent in English (written and spoken), and ideally another European language
- An understanding of the role of communication in addressing the complexities of social health challenges, including knowledge on effective communication in different situations (online/offline)
- Able to communicate effectively on sound nutrition or food safety information in a way that inspires behaviour change, is easily understood and appealing
- Interested in exploring new ways of communicating with the public
- Pro-active and forward-thinking to stay on top of developments in the communication field
- Good interpersonal skills and a team player
- Enthusiastic to work in a dynamic, highly motivated team
- Full-time position (38h/week)
- Salary range 30,000€ – 32,000€ (annual gross, depending on experience) plus benefits (e.g. health insurance cover, phone contract, annual bonus, etc.)
- Based in central Brussels
- Start date: as soon as possible (or as of March 1, 2019)
- One-year contract with the possibility to extend
- Will involve European travel for project meetings and conferences
Email your application including full CV and letter of motivation to email@example.com by January 6, stating “Food and Health Science Junior Projects Manager” in the subject line.
Only successful candidates will be notified (by January 21) on the outcome of the first selection. Interviews will take place in Brussels or via Skype in the first instance.
European Food Information Council (EUFIC)
Rue des Deux Eglises 14 (3rd floor)