Spotlight on… The Centre of Research Excellence in Nutrition and Metabolism (CENM)
Last Updated : 01 December 2016
The Institute for Medical Research-IMR, Centre of Research Excellence in Nutrition and Metabolism (CENM), University of Belgrade is a leading research institute that conducts fundamental and applied research in the field of nutrition and biomedicine in Serbia and West Balkan countries. The Centre consists of 20 researchers - public health nutrition experts, molecular biologists, food scientists, nutritional researchers, nutritionists, medical doctors, biologists, chemists, pharmacists, statisticians, informaticians and biochemists, all active in basic and applied nutritional research.
The CENM consist of Laboratory for lipid analysis and determination of lipid status, Laboratory for experimental research models, Laboratory for molecular and cell biology and immunochemistry, Laboratory for mathematical modeling and statistical analysis, Department for public health nutrition (DPHN), Laboratory for dietary intervention studies with experimental kitchen and Laboratory for dissemination of scientific results and nutritional advisory units. They are run by 12 PhD nutritional scientists with multidiscipl nary expertise, involved in basic and applied nutrition research. The expertise of the CENM is further related to the public health nutrition strategies for healthy nutrition and lifestyle promotion and action plan development.
The Centre of Research Excellence in nutrition is involved in several EC FP6/7 NoE projects in the fields of food composition research, food and nutrition, dietary bioactive effects on health, recommendations for healthy nutrition, development of nutritional tools and implementation and knowledge transfer and training.
International and EC Research projects:
- BACCHUSS-FP7 -Beneficial effects of dietary bioactive peptides and polyphenols on CVD health in humans, (2012-2016)
- ODIN-Food-based solutions for Optimal vitamin D Nutrition and health through the life cycle (613977) FP7. (2013-2017)
- CHANCE FP7 Low Cost tecHnologies and traditional ingredients for the production of Affordable, Nutritionally correct, Convenient foods enhancing health in population groups at risk of poverty, (2011-2014)
- Euro DISH- "Study on the need for food and health research infrastructures in Europe”, (2012-2015)
- EuroFIR Nexus FP7- EuroFIR Food Platform: Further integration, refinement and exploitation for its long-term self-sustainability, (2011-2013)
- EuroFIR, European Food Information Resource Network, Network of excellence, European Commission FP6, (2006 - 2010)
- EURRECA, Harmonising nutrient recommendations across Europe with special focus on vulnerable groups and consumer understanding , Network of excellence, European Commission FP6, (2007 - 2012)
- BaSeFood FP7 (Sustainable exploitation of bioactive components from the Black Sea Area traditional foods), (2009-2012)
- European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) “Dietary monitoring tools for risk assessment” (2012-2013)
- DIETS, Dietitians Improving Education Training Standards across Europe, Thematic Network for Dieticians in Europe, Socrates Erasmus fund, (2007 2010)
- European Food Safety Authority (“EFSA”) project: “Updated food composition database for nutrient intake”2012
- Bilateral project Serbia-Croatia: Folate status in populations at risk: young adult women of reproductive age and elderly, (2011-2013)
- Bilateral Collaboration Serbia-France “Pavle Savić”: “Identification of cellular and molecular targets of plant bioactives on human blood cells: clinical and in-vitro studies”; (2012-2013)
- FLOMEGA -Biological mechanism, dietary intake and status of polyunsaturated fatty acids and folate: Nutrition improvement in Serbia (2011 – 2014 III 41030)
- INGEMA_S-An integral study to identify the regional genetic and environmental risk factors for the common noncomunicable diseases in the human population of Serbia (2011-2014 III 41028)
- YUSAD study-Yugoslav study of atherosclerosis precursors in schoolchildren in Serbia, (1998;2003;2007)